Suddenly pain on your knee is the sad thing at night but it is also a usual problem. The whole day your knee passes through the pressure and stresses of your body. So at night when your body gets the chance for relaxing, as revenge – severe knee pain can happen.
But at night if your knee pain becomes very restless or unbearable, it may give you bad sleep night. It also affects your daily life. In that case how you get to relieve it?
Reasons for Night-time Knee Pain:
There are many reasons behind the knee pain at night. The most common reason is arthritis, except this, it may be obesity, gout, ankylosing spondylitis, bursitis, osteoarthritis, and tendonitis. Let’s take a look at some main reasons for nightly knee pain.
This is also a common reason for nightly knee pain. It is another type of arthritis that is caused by increasing the level of uric acid. In this case, crystals are formed in your joints and as a result, you get pain and swelling.
In this case, the cartilage between bones becomes thinner day by day. For this reason, bones start rubbing against each other, causing pain.
- Inflammation and activity
Tendonitis, knee sprains, trauma, rheumatoid arthritis, bursitis these all are cause swelling or inflammation in the joints of your knee.
In your knee joint, there is much space, so any inflammation or excess fluid increases the pressure on your knee joint. And it causes pain on your knee joint.
As your physical activity increases, the blood flow also increases in your joints. It may cause swelling. Excessive physical exercise increases the level of lactic acid in your muscles. It might cause muscle soreness.
- Growing pains
Many children may suffer from nightly knee pain also. It happens during growth spurts. In that case, the leg bones grow faster than muscles. This creates tension through the muscles and tendons. For that reason, knee pain causes at night. It occurs between the ages of 3-5 and 8-12 years.
The reasons why knee pain get worse at night –
- During the day there is no time to notice your knee pain. After the whole day, when you just think to take rest suddenly you feel and notice about your pain. Because at night you are not busy so your mind concentrates on your pain only for that reason you feel so much pain. So try to distract your mind from your pain.
- If you are not sleepy at night then you may feel the more pain. Lack of sleep may increase the sensitivity to pain. You may notice at sleepless night your pain become worse and worse.
- At night our breathing level becomes slow. So it increases the level of carbon dioxide at night. If the level of carbon dioxide increases in your blood, it causes blood vessels to dilate – widen diameter. It increases the pressure surrounding nerves and making your nerves more sensitive which causes knee pain.
How to reduce knee pain at night?
To reduce your nightly knee pain you can do some gentle exercise, try home remedies or heat packs.
Some treatments for your nightly knee pain-
- You can apply ice wrap or heat pads on your knee before your bedtime. Ice wrap is good for short term injury where heat pads work well for long term pain.
- Elevate up your legs on cushions and take rest. It reduces the swelling.
- Always try to sleep in a comfortable position. And always sleep on a good and supportive mattress.
- You can also take a bath with warm water; it helps you to reduce your pain at night.
- Try to relax your mind, listen to your favorite music or you can try any meditation track. It will distract your mind from your pain.
- You can try knee massage before bedtime it will also reduce your pain level.
- Lastly, you can consult with your doctor, if there is a need for any medication or supplement for your knee pain.
Consult with the experienced Knee surgery doctor at JBCH