In the case of Knee Replacement operation, lifeless joints get replaced by a simulated joint, which is known as prosthesis. Knee Replacement alleviates knee pain. It is the considerable choice for treating knee pain. Myths are associated with this procedure.
The following are the myths involved with knee replacement surgery:
- One of the myths is that the rate of the success of knee replacement surgery is quite depressive. The success rate of knee replacement surgery is almost 97%. Anyhow, the accomplishment rate of the operation principally relies on some of the main criteria like carrying out the operation successfully, post-operative care, physiotherapy on daily basis and abiding by the diet instructed by the surgeon and dietitian to stay away from infections.
- According to majority of the patients after knee replacement it is not possible to move their knee. But it should be remembered that the joints are adhered to the prosthesis which permits the simulated joint to move just like the original joint moves.
- If the operation does not achieve success or complication arises with the implant after the operation, there is no scope to recover the condition again. In such case, it is considerable to contact the best doctor to opt for a second operation.
- According to many people, Knee joint replacement does not last for longer period. But studies have shown that knee replacement would last for more than 20 years. /moreover, the sturdiness of the replacement would rely on the kind of implant employed for operation and post-operative care.
- Many individuals think is that they need to invest few months time for recovering from the operation. Theoratically, the recovery time for knee replacement is almost 2 weeks. But practically, the recovery is straightaway commensurate to the care taken post-operation, rate of infection and exercise post-operation.
- Another myth is that it is not possible to replace both knees at the same time. Actually, both knees replacement at the same time will be a benefit for the patients.
- Many patients think that after 60 years the Knee replacement operation is not successful. The fact is that this operation can be performed for individuals aged above 80 years.
- According to many individuals, patients need to stop sports activities after knee replacement. But in reality, an individual can continue activities involving running, walking, riding bikes which may take upto 2 months. It’s considerable to have a discussion with the surgeon before starting with the sport activities.
- Another misconception is that this replacement is quite painful. However, this operational pain will be alleviated within a period of tenure with daily physiotherapy and exercises.
- Many patients think that knee replacement operation cannot be performed with the patients having diabetes, hypertension and heart problems.
- Knee replacement surgery cannot be done if suffering from diabetes or hypertension or any heart ailment. Individuals suffering have diabetes, heart problems can also opt for knee replacement surgery.
People have all the above-mentioned misconception about knee replacement. Thus it is advisable to consult with the doctors before going for the surgery.
Check the list of best Orthopedic doctors for knee replacement Surgery